Saturday 18 February 2012

Contemplation

Twas the night before Ultra when all through the house,
not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The leggings were hung by the bedside with care,
next to socks, sports bra and clean underwear.
The jacket potatoes were snug in the skins
As the final effort to get more carbs in.

So before I go and wreck havoc on an old rhyme any further, what am I think this evening?

I'm feeling very relaxed because I have learned a lot. Not so much to be snug. I am well aware that there are 31 cold miles tomorrow through a bit of mud, a bit of dog poo and a bit of suburban dashing. But I have learned enough to know:
  • What pain is, both neurologically and physically, and how I am going to deal with it.
  • That what I lack in strength, fitness and talent I compensate for in determination and bloodymindedness.
  • That I have more fun running over a bit of a grassy hummock than I do over 26 miles of road. And this makes me smile. Which is part of my plan to deal with pain.
  • That I am ok with being all alone for hours at a time. Because I know I have a great support crew out there. And that also makes me smile.
One of my trigger words tomorrow will be the word "smile". It makes me relax, helps me run faster, tackle hills and it's what I want to be doing when I cross the finish line. Albeit a little manically.


No comments:

Post a Comment